Everyone comes across the same question at some point in their lives, “How should I paint my mailbox?” Most people would just tell you to paint it with whatever paint you can find, but they would be very wrong. Think about it this way, your mailbox sits outside rain or shine and in all types of weather conditions. Mailboxes pretty much endure it all, so why would you want to paint your mailbox with cheap, low quality paint that would end up chipping or fading almost immediately? Most people do not have the time and energy to continuously paint their mailboxes, over and over again. Here are some tips to consider when choosing mailbox paint for your project:
- Make sure your paint is made for outdoor use.
- You will want to choose a paint for an aluminum mailbox that is an oil based satin enamel (this is the toughest, best quality stuff!)
- Clean your mailbox thoroughly before you start your painting project
- Please, whatever you do, DO NOT use spray paint when painting mailboxes. Why? Because you will have overspray galore, all over your property (yes, this means cars).
- Instead, use a high quality paintbrush and paint the enamel on by hand. Not only will it look better, but it will save you vehicle damage when the wind picks up the spray paint.